Join Spon Spun Festival, celebrating storytelling and Spon End, a historic suburb, and a hidden gem in Coventry. This Festival takes place over two dates Saturday 14 and 21 May. For more information visit www.sponspun.co.uk
On Saturday 14th May take a tour of Spon End - map below
- Art Space and Coventry University have teamed up to create an art trail. The trail is open all day, exploring Spon End as you have never seen it before!
- Join the Tale Trail and follow Gavin Young and the Coventry Storytellers, as they weave the stories of Spon End into an interactive tour of the area.
- Pop into the Weaver’s Cottage Open Day and take a turn around their beautiful cottage garden
- From 6-7pm take part in a brand new play by Owen Jennings over a pint at the Broomfield Tavern
On Saturday 21st May at the Albany Theatre, we’ve got even more fun activities planned, including performances from workshops we’ve been holding with groups around the district. For more information click here
- At 1.30pm there’s Stand-Up Comedy compèred by local heroine Mrs Barbara Nice, (Phoenix Nights etc) who has been leading comedy workshops for budding Coventry comedians, come and have a laugh with them.
- At 3.30pm ‘Festival Sharing’s’ hosted by Gavin Young - local community groups will be showing off their literary talents, with poetry, plays and storytelling - sharing stories that will make you look at Spon End in a whole new way.
- To finish the Festival we present our brand new play by local playwright Alexandra Johnson, Apprentices celebrates the history of the theatre in its former incarnation as Coventry City College. To book tickets for Apprentices click the BOOK TICKETS button below!
Spon Spun is the first project developed as part of the Albany Theatre’s ‘Arts for Life’ programme, which seeks to promote health and wellbeing through participation in the arts
Apprentices - A Play by Alexandra Johnson Saturday 21st May at 7.30pm
Children + OAPs and Concessions: £6
Spon Spun is a Pay What You Decide festival, means you don’t have to pay anything until after you have seen the show. We hope that this scheme will encourage people who haven’t seen anything at the Albany before to give it a go and people who come regularly and want to further support our Outreach programme to give more.
We are trialling Pay What You Decide for the Spon Spun festival (not including Apprentices at 7.30pm, Saturday 21st May) and if it is successful we will release Pay What You Decide tickets for selected shows in our Autumn season. All of the money raised through ticket sales will go back into our Outreach programme.
To book for any of the events in the Spon Spun festival please call our Box Office on 02476 998 964.